Studios 301 History

Studios 301 History

1926


The Columbia Graphophone Company (later to became EMI Records) opened Australia’s first record factory and recording studio

1928


Recording made of the arrival of Kingsford-Smith and Ulm from their America-Australia Flight

1930

First Experimental radio transcription was made in the studios

1932


The Columbia Graphophone Company (later to becamse EMI Records) opened Austrlia’s first record factory and recording studio

1950


Recorded the first symphony in Australia. (John Antill’s ballet suite with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra)

1954


The studio was re-located to EMI’s new head office building at 301 Castlereagh Street in the city and renamed EMI Studios. There were 3 recording studios: A, B, & C plus disc mastering facilities. As well as music for release on record labels, much of the work undertaken in the early days was for local radio broadcast including the immortal “Dad & Dave” programmes. Jingles for commercial radio & TV, as well as film scores were also a significant part of the studio’s business.


1958

Stereo Recording is introduced. (First Stereo recording is of Don Burrows All Star band)

1962


The first fully transistorised mixing console is installed. (Designed and built by EMI)

1965

A Scully 4 track 1/2″ recorder introduced for music recording

1969

Transition to 8 track recording using a 3M 1″ machine

1973

The EMI “Abbey Road” Console with a 16 track 2″ machine is installed

1975

Transition to Studer 24 track 2″ recording

1978


In 1978 the entire facility was rebuilt, re-equipped and expanded by EMI to provide 4 studios and was renamed Studios 301

1979

Australia’s first fully digital recording is made at Studios 301. (Kerrie Biddell and her band)

1985

The studio’s first SSL console is installed. (Richard Lush records Debbie Byrne album)

1996

EMI sells Studios 301 in a management buy-out. Studios A & B closed down and the facility consolidated to one recording and mixing studio, a programming suite, and the mastering operation

1998

Studios 301 sold to a private investor. The 301 Studio Group takes over Soundtrade Studios in Stockholm, Sweden

1999

Studios 301 recording facilities are relocated to Alexandria at a cost of AUS$8 million under the direction of Tom Misner

2001

Studios 301 celebrated 75 years of recording in Australia, and Studios 301 Cologne, Germany opens

2002

Studios 301 Byron Bay opens

2003

Soundtrade Studios (Stockholm, Sweden) re-opens after a major refurbishment and is renamed Studios 301 Stockholm

2004

SSL 9000K series console is installed in Sydney Studio 2

2006

Studios 301 Mastering relocates to the extended premises at the 301 studio complex in Alexandria, Sydney

2009

Studios 301 celebrates it’s 10th Birthday at the Alexandria facilities in November

2012

Six new music production studios open next door to the mastering facilities, occupied by composers, engineers and artists

2016

Studios 301 celebrates it’s 90th birthday as Australia’s longest running professional recording studio

2015

Studios 301 Byron Bay Studio closes